Upgrading a 2006 Apple Mac Pro 1,1 with 2 Xeon X5355 Processors.
The purpose of this post is to compile all the information i can find about upgrading a 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 with the quad core X5355 Intel Processors. I’ve recently purchased two Intel Xeon X5355 with the intention of upgrading (updating) my 2006 Apple Mac Pro desktop I purchased a couple of years ago.
Currently I have Two 2.66 GHz (5150) Dual-core Intel Xeon “Woodcrest”; effectively this means I have four processors working together. I work alot on processor intensive apps, especially Final Cut Pro which is a video editing suite by Apple specifically for Macs. I also run alot of programs simulataneously such as Parallels, Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom. Because I edit alot of photos then a fast cpu, as well as fast Disk system like a Raid 0, will make editing much quicker. I sometimes have to batch export over 700 photos in one session!
The equipment list to upgrade.
- Mac Pro 1,1 (duh)
- 2 x Intel X5355 processors, although reports have said you can use just one at a time
- Torx 3mm (T15) Screwdriver with a long neck
- Thermal paste
- An assortment of Philips screwdrivers
30 Jan 2010 – As yet, I am still waiting for the CPUs to arrive. In the meantime I am reading and reviewing all the following websites for information.
- Hardmac.com – Tutorial on how to upgrade the CPUs.
- XLR8yourmac.com – Select Mac Pro from the drop down box.
- AnandTech.com – Tutorial with photos. Good detail.
- MacRumours – Bulletin board thread with indepth discussion.
There’s a video that shows what to do!
I will be updating this post as I have time and gather more information.
2 Feb – My X5355 Processors have arrived!
- Mac Pro 1,1 upgrade Geekbench 64bit results
- Why DropBox is every photographer’s friend.
- Sold my awesome 2007 iMac 24″
- Why is it professionals still don’t backup/archive regularly?
- A photographer’s editing studio/desk
- Play World of Warcraft on your iPad. For real!
- Famous artist uses Apple iPad to draw and exhibit in the digital age
- Pocket Legends, an addictive MMO for iPad.
- iPad for Professional Photographers
- Kindle vs iPad. First ad by Amazon fires at iPad.